Accounts and other records – Accounts And Records
(1) Every registered taxable person shall keep and maintain, at his principal place of business, as mentioned in the certificate of registration, a true and correct account of production or manufacture of goods, of inward or outward supply of goods and/or services, of stock of goods, of input tax credit availed, of output tax payable and paid, and such other particulars as may be prescribed in this behalf:
PROVIDED that where more than one place of business is specified in the certificate of registration, the accounts relating to each place of business shall be kept at such places of business concerned:
PROVIDED FURTHER that the registered taxable person may keep and maintain such accounts and other particulars in the electronic form in the manner as may be prescribed.
(2) The [Commissioner/Chief Commissioner] may notify a class of taxable persons to maintain additional accounts or documents for such purpose as may be specified.
(3) Where the [Commissioner/ Chief Commissioner] considers that any class of taxable persons is not in a position to keep and maintain accounts in accordance with the provisions of this section, he may, for reasons to be recorded in writing, permit such class of taxable persons to maintain accounts in such manner as may be prescribed.
(4) Every registered taxable person whose turnover during a financial year exceeds the prescribed limit shall get his accounts audited by a chartered accountant or a cost accountant and shall submit to the proper officer a copy of the audited annual accounts, the reconciliation statement under sub-section (2) of section 39 and such other documents in the form and manner as may be prescribed in this behalf.
(5) Subject to the provisions of clause (g) of sub-section (4) of section 17, where the registered taxable person fails to account for the goods and/or services in accordance with sub-section (1), the proper officer shall determine the amount of tax payable on the goods and/or services that are not accounted for, as if such goods and/or services had been supplied by such person and in this regard, the provisions of section 66 or 67, as the case may be, shall apply, mutatis mutandis, for determination of such tax.
(6) Every owner or operator of warehouse or godown or any other place used for storage of goods irrespective of whether he is a registered taxable person or not shall maintain records of consigner, consignee and other relevant details of the goods as may be prescribed.